In-state tuition for residents of western states

Go to grad school in 51Ʒ for the price of a local through the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) & Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP)

Move to 51Ʒ and study at some of the country's top-rated graduate programs in Urban and Regional Planning, Creative Writing, Environmental Management, and more. If you are a resident of participating Western states, you may qualify for an exciting opportunity to save money and earn a graduate degree from 51Ʒ State.

Full-time graduate students can save over $5,600 per year in tuition.

Through the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) andWestern Regional Graduate Program (WRGP), master’s and doctoral students from select Western states may enroll in qualifying graduate programs and pay tuition at the same rate as Oregon residents. View the list below to see if the program you're interested in qualifies!


The WICHE/WRGP tuition benefits are awarded to students who meet all of the following criteria:

Be a resident of one of the following states or territories for a minimum of one year immediately preceding their term of admission: Alaska, American Samoa (AS), Arizona, California, Colorado, Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), Federal States of Micronesia (FSM), Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI), the Republic of Palau (PW), South Dakota, Utah, Washington, or Wyoming.

Admitted to one of the following PSU graduate programs:

Creative Writing, M.F.A

Criminology and Criminal Justice, M.S.

Earth, Environment and Society, Ph.D.

English, M.A.

Environmental Management, M.E.M.

Environmental Science and Management, M.S.

Finance, M.S.

History, M.A.

Public Administration, M.P.A.

Public Affairs and Policy, Ph.D.

Public Interest Design, Graduate Certificate

Public Policy, M.P.P.

Real Estate, M.S.

Taxation, M.T.

Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, M.A.

Urban and Regional Planning, M.U.R.P.

Submit the WICHE/WRGP Application


Completed WICHE/WRGP Applications must be received by the Graduate School no later than four weeks before the start of the first term for which the student will receive the benefit.

Maintaining Eligibility

Students must be in good academic standing and making satisfactory progress toward their degree.

Contact the Graduate Schoolwith any questions at grad@pdx.edu.

Virtual Advisor