Withdraw, Cancellation and Drops

Students are responsible for drop​ping​ or withdraw​ing​ from courses by the deadline dates in the Academic Calendar. Courses may be dropped through the end of the second week of the term in fall, winter, and spring terms.​ Dropped courses​ will not appear on an academic transcript. Students may withdraw from courses during weeks 3 through 7 in fall, winter, and spring terms. A withdraw​n course​ will appear on the transcript ​with a grade ​as a "W".

​Students who plan to drop or withdraw from all of their courses should ​speak with the Registrar's Office or ​review and complete all applicable steps on the Withdrawal Checklist.​ The Registrar's Office is the designated point of contact for students withdrawing from 51Ʒ State. Students who are receiving financial aid or scholarships and drop or withdraw from all courses may need to repay some or all of their financial assistance to the university. Please speak with the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to discuss the return of funds.

Withdrawal Checklist

Speak with your academic advisor. Even if you have not connected with an advisor previously, they can guide your decision. If you intend to return to PSU at a later time, they will help you plan appropriately. 

Registration Actions

  • Check the current deadlines on the Academic Calendar to determine the academic and financial impacts of leaving classes, or contact the Office of the Registrar at 503-725-3220 with questions. 
  • Drop your classes. If you are leaving the University for any reason, you must cancel your classes to avoid receiving poor or failing grades. Login to to drop or withdraw according to deadlines. If you are not able to access the registration hub due to holds you can email registrar@pdx.edu to drop/withdraw. 
  • Once you have dropped or withdrawn from all of your credits, you will no longer be considered a current student at 51Ʒ. Please contact third parties (i.e. loan providers, insurance companies, etc…) to see how this will impact repayment timelines, insurance discounts, etc.
  • If you have missed the deadlines to drop or withdraw from current courses, you may review the Deadline Appeal process.

Finances & Financial Aid

Fully withdrawing from a term can result in significant financial consequences depending on how you are funding your education. Withdrawal can impact federal financial aid, tuition programs such as Four Years Free, Transfers Finish Free, WUE, and many other scholarships and remissions.

  • Talk to the Office of Student Financial Aid & Scholarships to find out whether withdrawing will impact your financial aid or scholarships and to schedule a loan exit counseling appointment at askfa@pdx.edu or 503-725-3461.
  • Check your student account balance in the Finances tab of myPSU or the Finances page of . Contact the Financial Wellness Center by email at studentfinancialservices@pdx.edu, or by calling 503-725-3440 if you have any questions about your account.
  • Request a tuition refund (if applicable). If you are leaving the University due to extraordinary circumstances you may be eligible for a partial or, in a rare case, a full tuition refund. Submit a Deadline Appeal Petition. You must supply supporting documentation for your appeal. 

Graduate Students

  • Graduate students should contact their department to inquire about their leave of absence process. 
  • Students employed through graduate assistantship should contact their employer or department about the potential impact of withdrawal.

Student Veterans

  • Reservists and National Guard ordered to active duty or veteran’s receiving education benefits should contact the Veteran Certification Officer in the Veteran’s Office at vetcert@pdx.edu or 503-725-8380.

International Students

PSU Services & Access

  • Student Health and Counseling (SHAC) If you have questions or concerns about leaving PSU, seeking health or mental health support while on leave, and/or insurance eligibility contact Student Health & Counseling 503-725-2800.
  • Housing If you live in on-campus housing, contact Housing & Residence Life at housing@pdx.edu or 503-725-4370 to discuss your options. Don’t forget to forward your mail to your new address.
  • Update Contact Information Visit and set your Password Reset Info to an external email address to ensure your ability to easily reset your myPSU access so that you can view your record or order transcripts in the future. 
  • Network Services The Office of Information Technology (OIT) inactivates certain accounts (i.e. email, Google Suite, Canvas) 1 year from the end of the last term of attendance and deletes data 1.5 years from the end of the last term of attendance. Be sure to backup important content or inquire with Help Desk about an extension. Contact help@pdx.edu or 503-725-4357 with questions. 
  • Textbooks Check the book return or buyback policy with the if you want to return textbooks. Contact support@psubookstore.com or call 503-725-3780.
  • Library You can visit the to check to see if anything is checked out and/or if you have any fines. Return library books to the Millar Library (1875 SW Park Avenue). Contact library@pdx.edu or 503-725-4617 with questions.
  • Parking & Transportation If you have a parking permit it will need to be returned to Transportation & Parking Services. To inquire about potential refunds, call 503-725-3442 or email psupark@pdx.edu.
  • Campus Locker Be sure to clean it out or your items may be discarded or impounded. Return keys to the department you rented the locker from to be sure no fees are charged and deposits. Contact the locker rentals office for more information.

Transferring to Another University

  • If you are transferring to another institution, that school’s admissions and financial aid office will want to know what courses were attempted or completed at 51Ʒ. You can request official transcripts through . Before requesting a transcript, be sure that all grades are posted on your record and your balance is paid. For assistance, email transcripts@pdx.edu or call 503-725-3220.