Veterans Certification Veteran Readiness and Employment Chapter 31

Information on this page is taken from the Department of Veteran Affairs website, which is the authoritative source for all veterans benefits. Visit the or call Toll-Free 1.888.442.4551 for more information.

What Is Veteran Readiness and Employment?

Veteran Readiness and Employment is a program whose primary function is to help veterans with service-connected disabilities become suitably employed, maintain employment, or achieve independence in daily living.

The program offers a number of services to help each eligible disabled veteran reach his or her rehabilitation goal. These services include vocational and personal counseling, education and training, financial aid, job assistance, and, if needed, medical and dental treatment. Services generally last up to 48 months, but they can be extended in certain instances.

Who Is Eligible?

Usually, you must first be awarded a monthly VA disability compensation payment. In some cases, you may be eligible if you aren't getting VA compensation. For example, if you are awaiting discharge from the service because of a disability you may be eligible for veteran readiness and employment.

Eligibility is also based on you meeting the following conditions:

  • You served on or after September 16, 1940 AND
  • Your service-connected disabilities (SCD) are rated at least 10% disabling by VA AND
  • You need Vocational Rehabilitation to overcome an employment handicap AND
  • It has been less than 12 years since VA notified you of your qualified SCD

Regardless of your SCD rating percentage, you may have longer than 12 years to use your VR benefit if certain conditions prevent you from participating in a VR program or it is determined that you have a SEH.

How Much Does VA Pay?

If you need training, VA will pay your training costs, such as tuition and fees, books, supplies, equipment, and, if needed, special services. While you are in training, VA will also pay you a monthly benefit to help with living expenses, called a subsistence allowance. For details, call the toll-free number below.

How Can You Apply?

To apply for Chapter 31 education benefits, , or by filling out VA Form 28-1900, Disabled Veterans Application for Veteran Readiness and Employment, and submit it to the VA regional office. Meet with your VR&E counselor/case worker at 100 SW Main Street to begin using your benefits at PSU and to find out more information about the following:

  • Related Benefits
  • 5 Tracks to Employment
  • Work Study Allowance
  • Tutorial Assistance
  • Revolving Fund Loan