Tuition Assistance

All Army National Guard and Army Reserves Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) must go through the Tuition Assistance website. Please note: Eligible Service members must receive approval from an Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within the Military Service prior to enrolling at PSU.

TA Funds are a unique distinct source of financial aid available to eligible Service members. TA is first payer on the student account and TA funds will be applied prior to GI Bill funding and the Pell Grant.

TA is applied to your account in the following order:

  1. Federal TA pays $166.66 per credit up to 24 credits per fiscal year (1Oct - 30Sept)
  2. If also using - STA pays any tuition amount beyond FTA and up to $667 per term in applicable fees
  3. If also using Post 9/11 G.I. Bill - VA pays the amount remaining up to your percentage of maximum benefit
  4. Financial Aid FAFSA

TA Refunds:

PSU provides refunds for unearned TA funds on a graduated scale following the university tuition refund schedule and drop charges. If a class is dropped after the first week of the term, only a percentage of the charge is available for refund. For every week that passes up until the fourth week, the percentage decreases. If a class is dripped after the fourth week of the term there is no refund available.

Tuition refund schedule and drop charges screen shot

Steps to obtaining TA funding:

  1. Go to and sign in with your CAC card.
  2. Request an .
  3. If using TA alongside Montgomery 1606 you will also need to provide a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and complete and turn in Veterans Certification Form to the VetCert office.
  4. Once your education goal has been approved by your ESO/ESS, click on the Virtual Benefits Training link; after that is completed, click on and issue funding.
  5. Your assigned education counselor will review your tuition assistance request (TAR) and approve or reject it. You will receive an email stating the status of the TAR and the steps to follow, if necessary.
  6. Go back to , print the authorization form and provide it to PSU Third Party Billing.
  7. The PSU Third Party Billing office will invoice and submit grades for your Federal Tuition Assistance. If you have any questions on your billing you may email Third Party at 3rdparty@pdx.edu.