Preferred and Chosen Names

51Ʒ supports the use of preferred names and chosen names for students, faculty, and staff while maintaining a legal name that is required for academic, financial, and employment records.

Preferred Names

Our preferred name option supports the use of a casual name, a professional or published name, an Americanized name, or a nickname within the PSU community.

Chosen Names

Our chosen name option supports the trans and gender expansive population, who have chosen a name to use other than their current legal name, or name given at birth.

Preferred Names

Where are preferred names displayed?

These systems will display your preferred name:

  • - greeting and display during student interaction
  • - display name associated with email, calendar, Google docs
  • PSU Faculty Staff Directory - search and display of name

These systems will display your preferred name in addition to your legal name:

  • - class rosters and grading rosters
  • Cognos Class Roster reports - will display Preferred Only or both Preferred and Legal based on report selection

Preferred names do not display on your student, staff, or faculty ID.

How do I submit my preferred name?

Preferred names can be added or updated by accessing the Preferred Name option, located online inon the My Account page.

Students are permitted to declare a preferred first name up to once per academic term online. Additional changes to the preferred first name must be done through the Registrar's Office. Non-student faculty and staff may add or update a preferred first and/or last name at any time.

Chosen Names

Where are chosen names displayed?

Your chosen name will replace your legal name in most university systems and processes. Your chosen name will display on your student, staff or faculty ID card. Some records will continue to reference your legal name, including official transcripts, financial aid documents, tax documents, payroll reporting, and immigration documents.

How do I submit my chosen name?

To declare a chosen name to be used instead of your legal name submit a Chosen Name Override Form. This will ensure that your legal name will not appear alongside your preferred first name on class rosters or in other university spaces.

If you are a student wishing to override your legal name you can submit your completed form to the Queer Resource Center or the Registrar's Office. If you are staff or faculty, submit your completed form to Human Resources. We will need to verify your identity and legal name by reviewing your government-issued ID, such as a driver's license, Social Security card, or passport when accepting the form.

Resources for Legal Name Change

Student Legal Services (SLS) offers support for students seeking to update their name and/or legal gender marker. Current students can complete the to get in contact with SLS to find out more information.

The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) offers support for current PSU employees including assistance with legal matters.

Odin Username Updates

The PSU Office of Information Technology is happy to offer to students, faculty, and staff in certain situations including when a dead name or previous name is part of the Odin username.

Preferred & Chosen Name Data Standards

Although students and employees are generally free to determine the preferred and chosen names they wish to be used, inappropriate use of the preferred name policy (including but not limited to avoiding a legal obligation or misrepresentation) may be cause for denying the request. Preferred and Chosen names should be sincerely held names. Preferred and chosen names must adhere to the database character standards used by university standards.

PSU reserves the right to remove a preferred name if it is used inappropriately. Inappropriate use may also result in referral to student conduct or human resources for review under relevant codes of conduct or policy.